Green Coffee Technician (Permanent Role)
An exciting and rare opportunity has arisen to join our small coffee buying team due to a recent promotion. Our coffee buyers are renowned for scouring the globe in their search for speciality coffee and for building long-standing partnerships with coffee producers. We are looking for someone with a passion for coffee to support them in their quest.
Based in our coffee tasting room, the successful applicant for this role will need to be adaptable to a variety of tasks and equally as happy to cup a counter of coffees or wash up. In addition to learning all about our supply chain from crop to cup, you will also be involved in key operational quality decisions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Cupping dozens of coffee samples on a daily basis to both internal standards and SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) protocol.
- Physical analysis of green coffee samples to SCA protocol.
- Supporting the coffee buyers in embedding quality calibration across our supply chain in line with Taylors Sourcing Approach.
- Roasting green coffee samples to specific roast profiles, both with Cropster roast profiling software and manually.
- Recording and organising cupping, quality and roasting data on internal systems and Cropster.
- Sending sample feedback to suppliers.
- Hosting visitor tastings.
- Maintaining a clean and tidy tasting room through setting up and cleaning down cupping sessions, washing up and filing paperwork.
Our ideal candidate will be well-organised and self-motivated with incredible attention to detail. You must be able to work comfortably both independently and as part of a team. You will have excellent IT skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and be highly competent at inputting, formatting and presenting data.
Whilst previous roasting, cupping, barista or other coffee industry experience is an advantage, a demonstrable passion for coffee is essential. Formal coffee qualifications are not essential as full training to Q Grader and SCA Diploma level will be provided.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please answer the following questions in a covering letter and send it alongside your CV:
- Why does working at Taylors of Harrogate appeal to you?
- What appeals to you about working in the coffee industry or what do you enjoy most about working in the coffee industry?
- In a few words, explain why this role is ideal for you.
The closing date for this position is midday on Friday 25th June 2021.